Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Earthquake jolt

Here I am in Christchurch and felt my first earthquake!   a sharp short jolt.   There was one yesterday but we were in Hamner Springs in the mountain.  I've been well looked after by my hosts Gayl and David Brown.  David is Team leader at Rangiora  about 20 kms north of Christchurch and also 3 volunteer stations.  We went to the mountains and thermal hostsprings ... soaking in 40 degres from 8-9 pm.  Reunited my love with snow... even if it was just a wee bit!   We visited several stations - Culverden where David used to be ahigh school teacher and volunteer for years, met Judith who is  national director for volunteers, on Hanmer Springs for the night, a  morning walk up conical hill for fantastic views, drive to maginficant Kikaorau  on the coast with snow capped mountains down to the sea - wait till you see the views from the ambulance station office!   Then to Cheviot a small single  newly renovated ambulance volunteer station - more like Padthaway SAAS and met several of the crew who had come in off their farms or after school (2 teachers) to meet me!  
So I've been very spoilt.   Photos will  follow soon.   I'm staying tonight with Fiuona Paskall, whom I hosted earlier this year.  We've driven to Autoara - a huge mountainous  beautiful inlet and beach  holiday spot.

New Zealand is  all  ABV... another beautiful view!

Tomorrow  Friday I will  meet the director of the North Region of South Island and also  meet the head of volunteer recruitment and then go with a Tango (like our sprint car)... a busy time all in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment